Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Can You Trust Your Mammogram?
The San Francisco Chronicle reported on a large scale review of mammograms in the United States, where large variance was found in how accurate a mammogram was interpreted. The study found up to 30% of mammograms were interpreted incorrectly and the cancer was not identified.

Also reported in the story was another review of how well radiologists analyse diagnostic x-rays, that is, when they already know of the suspicious area. On average, it was found, 21% of cancers were missed at the diagnostic x-ray stage. In one centre, 73% of cancers were missed!

The story from the Chronicle here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/07/29/hearstmaghealth381278.DTL

At the moment, mammography is still the most recognised way to screen for breast cancer, and many countries offer a government screening program. However, there is an ethical obligation to look at other options for the many women who choose not to have a mammogram, or for whom a mammogram may not be suitable for.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jo

    First let me say I was sorry that the TGA had shut you down.

    You may recall when you were at Broadway I was reluctant to send patients, as I was not convinced of the reliability of the results. I know you were unhappy and Sandra was not pleased , however, I felt the report really just stated what I had written on the form.

    So, having been diagnosed via metastases with breast cancer this march I decided to find my report. I was surprised it was 2009, having thought 2007-8. Anyway, my breast cancer is very deep in the inner upper left breast, and was difficult to find on both mammogram and ultrasound. I think being deep and impalpable should have made me the perfect candidate for your imaging - in fact my report showed " the contour appears slightly irregular in both breasts " and some some distortion and irregularity of the lower right breast - not anything in upper left.

    While you were obviously passionate about this screening technique, and I do want women to have as many choices as possible, I think this supports my reluctance to refer women for this scan.




    Sincerely

    DR Rachelle Andgel

    ReplyDelete